Begur, Catalonia, Spain
Begur has 3000 inhabitants, and is one of thet tourist centres
on the Baix Emporda. As well as its beaches, its main attraction is its history
. The town is centred on the “Plaça de la Vila”. The municipal
market operates every day except Sunday, and sells us fresh products, like freshly
From the peak above the town you can enjoy the “Plana
de l’Emporda”, the massif of Montgri and the Islands Medes. The
defence towers built in 16th and 17th Century to protect the village are still
- The Tower of Sant Ramon and the hermitage with the same name,
are the most impressive of the defence towers.
- The Parish Church of Sant Pere, in Gothic Style (16th-17th
- Near to the Church are some fine houses built by thepeople
who went to America and returned with wealth.
- To the south-east is the village of Esclanyà, a small
group of stone houses around the Romanesque Church of Sant Esteve (11th/12th
Century). Also here is the castle “Torre d’Esclanya”.
- There is a pleasant walk along the “Camino de Ronda”,
which joins the beach of Sa Riera and the beach of Pals
in the area
return to Costa Brava,
Spain Costa Brava, Spain page