Gandia is the second largest town in the Province of Valencia with a population of 55,000. In 1485 Rodrigo Borja became the first Duke of Gandia and was the founder of the infamous Borgia clan. Cesare, his son, and Lucretia, his daughter, were implicated in murder, and later his great-grandson was canonized as St Francis Borja by Pope Clement X in 1671. The modern city is 65km south of Valencia and a few kilometres inland. Four kilometres away on the coast is the other Gandia, the Playa de Gandia.
The Ducal Palace and Cathedral should be visted in this working Spanish city which projects the best of Spain today - , modern shops and green open spaces with most sights withing an easy walk of the city centre. Orange groves and mountains ring the town . Other sights include the church La Colegiata at the Plaza de la Constitucion.and the old university building Antigua Universidad.
The ducal palace is one of the icons of Gandia. Built around a central patio, there is a remarkable two-flight stairway: next to the staircase is one of the few windows opened by the architects of the Crown of Aragon. You will also find the Crowns Hall, the Golden Room, the Manises ceramics from the 18th century, and the chapel-cell of Saint Francisco de Borja, the city's patron saint.
Playa de Gandia is a very Spanish resort with a broad, sandy beach and a well-kept promenade. Some 4 km out of the town there is a 7km stretch of sandy beach with a harbour and yacht basin.
return to Costa Azahar, Spain Costa Azahar, Spain page